December 13, 2007

Snapping what?


Today I went to the doctor and learned that I have something called Snapping Hip Syndrome. What did I do to get that? No clue!

Snapping hip syndrome is a condition in which you feel a snap on the outside portion of your hip as you walk or run. In my case, I just felt pain and didn't notice the snapping until I actually stopped to listen and feel it. Several groups of muscles cross the hip as they pass from the thigh bone to the pelvis, so the snapping usually occurs because of tightness in a muscle called the iliopsoas or tightness in a muscle called the tensor fascia lata. Since this problem usually occurs because some muscles are too tight and some muscles are to loose, the remedy is to perform exercises that both strengthen and stretch the hip and thigh muscles. So lucky me, I get to do silly exercises every night. I just hope it's not a sign of getting old!

What did you learn today?

No comments: